Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving, a State of Mind

by Harold Hay
President, Flannelgraph Ministries / Media Missionary School

As we go through the normal routine of our lives, we often overlook the things that we should be truly thankful for. It’s human nature to focus on our problems and what we lack in life. I’ve certainly been guilty of this. But recently I was reminded of the things that I should be thankful for.

Last Thursday we had an open house at our new site for Media Missionary School. It dawned on me just how many friends I have—people who will stand with you and support you no matter what. In fact, this open house wouldn’t have happened without my friends. I especially want to thank Jenny Stambaugh for her tireless efforts organizing the event. She made the evening a big success by taking care of every detail.

Open house would not of been as nice without the help of Chris and Monica Human who came out to get the space ready and to clean things up. They made it possible for everybody to enjoy the evening. Thank you guys for all of your support and love.

I must send a big thank you to Jerri and Ryan Hamrick, who have a catering business called Cake by Jerri, for donating all of the food. Not only that, they brought their staff to serve: Mickenzie Marie Friscus, Felecia Carolyn Smith, and Joanne Schulte Arnott. Thank you so much guys for coming out. By the way, Jerri’s food is amazing. If you are thinking about catering an event, you should check them out. I am also thankful for friends like Isaac Stambaugh, who has been my partner here at Media Missionary School from the very beginning. I can always count on his support. You are truly blessed in life when you have good friends.

There were so many people who came out for the open house. I want to also personally thank my pastor, Bo Weaver, from The Bridge Church in Wilder, KY; Gary Dawson, who provided space in his building for our new media center; Dwight Young from Bloc Ministries; Thomas S. Green, who recently was graduated from film school; Lori Roberds; Jalyssa Eliasen; Eric and Kurt Tuffensam; Marcus King; Devra Rochelle, Mark Denney; and of course my partner for many years from the old days at Victory Videos Ministries - Dave Dobbins.

We may not have raised much money; however, having the support of people behind you who believe in your vision is priceless. I’d rather have friends who will stand with me than all the checks in the world.

The last couple of years have been challenging to say the least. The ministry I founded over 20 years ago decided to take a different direction in which I had no future. The good news is we’re moving forward. God has given me a second chance, and this is something I am most thankful for. That doesn’t often happen in life. But this time around, I have an opportunity to build something special and to get it right. One thing I am determined to do here at Flannelgraph Ministries and Media Missionary School is to follow, without hesitation, the will of God.

No matter where you are in life, I’m sure there is something you can be thankful for. As I said, it’s easy to focus on the negative and the things that are not right. If you take that route, you might as well cash in your chips. During this time of thanksgiving, take stock, look around. You will be amazed what you have to be thankful for. I know I am.

What I have come to realize is Thanksgiving isn’t just a day. It’s a state of mind. We should be thankful for the things God has given us like friends and family. But most of all, we should be especially thankful if we know Christ as our Savior. The truth is everything else we receive in life is just gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment