Monday, February 7, 2011

Today’s Rant - Sequelitis

Today is a perfect day for one of my Monday rants. Here in the Midwest, winter is in full force with no signs of letting up. So when I read a story about the forecast for this year's movies over at Box Office Mojo, I was ready for a rant. If you are a movie lover, you are not going to like what I am going to tell you. Trust me, you’re not going to like this. However, if you are a fan of sequels, this is your year. In fact, it is going to be a record-breaking year of sorts. Yes, as incredible as it sounds, 26 sequels are currently scheduled to be released in 2011.

We are truly living in the age of sequelitis. Box Office Mojo, after examining the entire release schedule concluded there were very little original or new ideas being offered by Hollywood for the upcoming year. As a movie lover, when is Hollywood going to give us a break? Come on. Do we really need a sequel of The Fast and the Furious? I think we’ve had more than we can handle.

Some of the movies to be released will be in their 4th or 5th edition. I’m sure some of them will make money, and there are a few good ones that are probably worth catching, such as Cars 2, Pirates of the Caribbean, On Stranger Tides. But honestly the rest are probably a waste of time.

Wish I could offer you a plan of action. Maybe Hollywood will get the message if we stop going to the theaters. That’s already happening. Last year, the film business had its lowest year in attendance since 1995. I will make a bold prediction and go out on a limb and predict that 2011 will be Hollywood’s worst year, period. Who knows, maybe they won’t even be able to find ten movies to nominate for Best Picture at the 2012 Academy Awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment