Friday, August 20, 2010

Are You Ready for Ministry? - Part 1

I have worked in Christian ministries for over 25 years. In that time, I have founded two media ministries, including my current ministry, Flannelgraph Ministries. Over the years, I’ve had many people come to me and ask me about how to start a ministry. Some wanted to do mission’s work while others desired to pursue a video, television or music ministry. At the time, I gave them my best advice. But I’ve had time to reflect on this and really give it some thought. I think I’ve learned a thing or two over the past few years. I certainly have made my share of mistakes.

Here’s what God’s revealed to me about ministry and maybe you will find it helpful.

1. Your relationship with God is essential. This is the foundation. If your relationship is not fresh and current and daily with God, your ministry will not produce fruit. You must spend time with God and allow the Holy Spirit to control your actions and motives. A mail-in approach to Christianity will not be sufficient.

2. Make absolutely certain that you are called to do the ministry that you believe you are called to do. Callings are a tricky thing. It’s amazing how we can convince ourselves that we have heard from God. But in reality we are only responding to what we want to do. I believe God has a plan for each of our lives. How we discover that plan and our calling is a difficult process. In some cases, it can take years to fully realize and understand.

I recommend reading Experiencing God, Knowing and Doing the Will of God, by Henry T. Blackaby and Claude V. King. This is a fabulous resource. Usually discovering your calling always requires you to adjust your plans to fit where God is at work. The bottom line is make sure, absolutely crystal clear, that you are called to do the ministry you think God wants you to do.

3. Get the right people around you. You need people who believe in you and your vision. Remember this isn’t your vision, it’s God’s vision. The worst thing you can do when you start a ministry is to get people who don’t understand that vision. They may be on board with some of the vision, and you think that’s ok. Believe me you will be headed for trouble. When I first put a board together, we were looking for people who could fill seats and help us raise money. Frankly, we would have been better off if we had empty seats and no money. If God’s called you to ministry, he will lead you to the right people who will embrace your vision. Don’t settle for less. You’ll save yourself a lot of grief.

4. Prayer is the foundational rock. Your ministry must be built on prayer. Over the years, I have failed at this. I realize at times prayer seems to be inconvenient. Getting everybody together at one place and one time can be challenging. I hope you learn from my mistakes and experiences when I tell you it is essential to pray with your staff every morning. Find the time. Make the time. Just do it. How do you expect God to bless your efforts if you don’t invite him into the process.

Prayer must be a commitment, a choice. When you commit to daily prayer, watch out. There will be a million distractions and reasons why not to pray. Don’t be like me and start out daily and then weekly prayer and then whenever you can squeeze it in. When you take this approach, your ministry is finished.

5. Learn to deal with conflict. Many young people believe that ministry or working in a church is some form of utopia or heaven on earth. Let me be clear. That is not the case. The same problems that exist in the world exist in the church. Yes. You will, even with the best intentions, hurt people and, in turn, they will hurt you. Petty differences are often the seeds that destroy ministries because people cannot and do not want to deal with conflict. My best advice is learn to forgive and move on.

Monday Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment